News:

Guests cannot see the Video section at all - create an account!

Main Menu

Official UFC 168 "Rousey vs Tate II" thread.

Started by Ronald_Frump, 27-Dec-13, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins and how?

Rousey by armbar - round 1
3 (75%)
Rousey by armbar - at some point
0 (0%)
Rousey by TKO (strikes)
0 (0%)
Rousey by submission
0 (0%)
Rousey by decision
0 (0%)
Tate by TKO (strikes)
0 (0%)
Tate by submission (including armbar)
0 (0%)
Tate by decision
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: 29-Dec-13, 04:26 PM

Ronald_Frump

@ sammy

I know you're not convinced, but I can't magically conjure up some elite female bjj practitioner and force them into the UFC. All I can say to them is, if you're confident in your abilities, why not train striking for six months and then approach Dana for a try-out. I'm sure he'd welcome them with open arms, given how shallow the talent pool currently is. Why will no one come forward? If they wanted a grapple-fest, I'm sure Ronda would oblige, because despite her recent boxing training, its still only a vehicle to gain the clinch and subsequently the takedown. Are they afraid their grappling credentials will end up in tatters if Rousey armbars them? I'm sure there'd be huge $$$ on offer. Remember, Rousey walked in with just her grappling background and cleaned up. 

@ lucad

IMHO, until we get K1 level kickboxers and hard hitters like Cro Cop did years ago for the mens' division, WMMA will never evolve out of the Rousey era. I would love to see Holly Holm go against Ronda. McMann's's speciality is the ground, but once there, she has no elite submission game and as we know, Ronda is an Anaconda  :o 

anyway, enough chat....time for some gifs.....  *courtesty artofgrappling*

Round 1

0:15 – Sumi Gaeshi (corner reversal)

Ronda uses a classic setup with a fake uchi mata to get Tate onto her left foot, and quickly sits under and scoops the leg with her foot, rolls and kicks Tate over.

0:56 kuchiki taoishi (one hand throw down/knee pick)

Rousey times Tate's left leg kick and grabs a hold for a knee pick takedown.

1:25 Kosoto gari – outside reap

Tate scores a very nice outside reap or kosoto gari from a double leg type grip.

3:17 uchi mata – inner thigh throw

Tate goes for an outside leg reap again but this time gets countered with an uchi mata. Rousey uses the Tate's momentum and leg position, turns into the direction of Tate's throw, lifts Tate's leg and flips her to the mat.

4:00 -uchi mata – inner thigh throw

Tate makes her third attempt for the outside leg trip. Her grip is high up on Rousey which allows her to throw her again with uchi mata.

Round 2

0:08 – ko uchi gari – foot sweep

Rousey clinches up with her usual headlock control and left wrist. She fakes an uchi mata to get Tate to react backwards and then sweeps out her foot.

0:31 – harai goshi (sweeping hip throw)

Tate shoots for a takedown and is countered with a crushing harai goshi. Again, Rousey uses Tate's momentum against her by turning, getting her hips in tossing her over.

Note the grip: Rousey's right hand gripping Tate's left elbow. Her left hand is just on Tate's back.

Slow motion of the harai goshi. Rousey hops off her leg at the last second to land on Tate for extra impact.

1:00 kuchiki taoishi (one hand throw down/knee pick)

Ronda leads in with a left jab and combines it with the single leg knee pick, she can't quite get it and Tate tries to counter with an uchi mata of her own but Ronda smothers her with heavy hips.

2:25 tai o toshi – body drop

Ronda let's Tate push away from the cage to get her momentum coming forwards and snaps a sharp Tai o toshi with an undertook and elbow grip. This places Ronda in a nice modified scarf hold position. Notice her right arm is under Tate's armpit rather than the headlock style (kesa gatame). This is much safer and there is less risk of getting her back taken.

Round 3

0:38 – sumi gaeshi (corner reversal)

The second attempt at Sumi gaeshi, again with an uchi mata to unbalance Tate. Tate has good body awareness and hip movement and is able to stay on top. Rousey gets her guard and begins the juji-roll armbar to inevitably finish the match.

Finish – Juji roll armbar

Interestingly Rousey can't get her right leg over Tate's head but clamps her legs together and is still able to finish the armbar.

Rousey breaks Tate's grip by rolling over towards the head. Rousey shows perfect technique keeping the arm against her chest and extending her hips upward

Death by Rondabar!  8)

Use 7z / WinRAR - Password: VictoryIsMine!
  •  

lucad

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 30-Dec-13, 12:41 PM
I'm sure there'd be huge $$$ on offer
That's true, so it's inevitable they're coming sooner or later!  8)

I would love to see Holly Holm go against Ronda
That makes two of us. I didnt mention her before, but she has potentially the best striking in WMMA
  •  

sammy_scuffles

@ sammy

I know you're not convinced, but I can't magically conjure up some elite female bjj practitioner and force them into the UFC. All I can say to them is, if you're confident in your abilities, why not train striking for six months and then approach Dana for a try-out. I'm sure he'd welcome them with open arms, given how shallow the talent pool currently is. Why will no one come forward? If they wanted a grapple-fest, I'm sure Ronda would oblige, because despite her recent boxing training, its still only a vehicle to gain the clinch and subsequently the takedown. Are they afraid their grappling credentials will end up in tatters if Rousey armbars them? I'm sure there'd be huge $$$ on offer. Remember, Rousey walked in with just her grappling background and cleaned up. 

It's not quite that easy. Your stack of gifs there shows the thing that comes pre-loaded in Ronda's game that doesn't come with most of the best BJJ fighters - great takedowns. Judo has them, BJJ not so much. It's a flaw in how BJJ fighters train (usually spending 99% of your time starting out kneeling for most classes). It's almost certainly different for the top-rank fighters but they still spend far less time working takedowns because to be honest with the way BJJ rules are set up you don't need them so much. If you watch even the highest level tournaments you'll see one fighter pull guard in most matches. Or sometimes both fighters try to pull guard at once, which always looks hilarious. Pulling guard is a much worse idea in MMA because it gets you punched in the face.

People love to focus on the armbar because it's the finish but it's not the thing that makes Ronda such a tough proposition for the current crop of 135ers. It's the takedowns. She's good on the ground but the best part of her game is that she has the ability to get to the ground in a dominant position 95% of the time. The most recent fight sort of proves that - she didn't finish Tate the first time she had a dominant position. Or the second time. But she did finish her the fifth time (or something around there, it was quite a lot).
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Use 7z / WinRAR - Password: VictoryIsMine!
  •  

lucad

Quote from: sammy_scuffles on 30-Dec-13, 07:38 PM
People love to focus on the armbar because it's the finish but it's not the thing that makes Ronda such a tough proposition for the current crop of 135ers. It's the takedowns. She's good on the ground but the best part of her game is that she has the ability to get to the ground in a dominant position 95% of the time.
This is actually what I'm trying to say with my awful english!  >:(
You have to acknowledge that the current crop of 135ers has done a REALLY REALLY poor job defending from her takedowns. Kaufman, Carmouche, Budd, even Tate...they're not exactly the first names you recall when thinking of a strong clinch game. So, given Ronda's world class judo, I'm sure it has to be really tested yet. Im not saying shes not gonna be able to take Sara down during the next fight, Im saying for sure she is going to do that at will like shes been doing until now.
And without easy takedowns, which I agree are the true key of her game, I see her having many problems while the fight keeps standing!

Waiting for Ronda to confirm my predictions or prove me incredibly wrong whitin a few months...  8)
  •