News:

Guests cannot see the Video section at all - create an account!

Main Menu

Official UFC 170 "Rousey vs McMann" thread

Started by lucad, 30-Dec-13, 12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald_Frump

Ronda Rousey vs Sara McMann UFC 170 Pros Picks: Faber, Benavidez, Stann, Pyle, Ellenberger

Use 7z / WinRAR - Password: VictoryIsMine!
  •  

sharetrader

There is one sure bet about this women and that is?

You would not dare to come back from the pub late whilst pissed because I would guarantee, she would tear you a NEW one :o
  •  

Ronald_Frump

UFC 170: Rousey vs. McMann Extended Preview

•  

Ronald_Frump

Feared grappler Ronda Rousey: I'm also best striker

Ronda Rousey, a former Olympic judo medalist, has won all her MMA fights by armbar
    She also says she is the best striker in women's MMA

Ronda Rousey possesses arguably the most dangerous ground game in women's mixed martial arts. However, the reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship women's bantamweight titleholder thinks her striking is equally effective.

Rousey has worked diligently to raise her comfort level on her feet ahead of Saturday's UFC 170 pay-per-view headliner vs. Sara McMann in Las Vegas. That work has paid off after a brief period of stand-up training, Rousey says, and she thinks her skills have surpassed those of her peers.

"My MMA striking is the best in the game," Rousey told USA TODAY Sports.

It's a bold claim ahead of a historic title defense, one in which Olympic medalists meet in the UFC for the first time. Rousey (8-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC), a 2008 judo bronze medalist, meets McMann (7-0, 1-0), a 2004 wrestling silver medalist.

Rousey, 27, has earned all of her career wins via armbar submission but continues to expand her horizons and target what was once a weakness. She is an athlete who has put in years on the mat, so adjusting to punches, kicks, knees and elbows is a difficult task. It also is one Rousey enjoys.

"It definitely is a challenge," she said. "With judo I spent so many years with a certain posture that the hardest thing was adjusting it."

The shift from hurling a judo opponent through the air to knocking her out with a punch is no easy feat. Rousey has found success, though, and her offensive and defensive striking statistics over her last six fights hover right around the UFC average.

While Rousey intends to bolster those stats, as she feels more comfortable standing, don't expect her to completely abandon what got her to this point. In the end, she says, she'll always possess the instincts of judoka, which means striking will be used to better her chances of taking a fight to the mat.

"I've reached a certain level of competition where what's required out of striking to come into the clinch to grapple is a lot more complicated than at the lower levels," Rousey said. "It requires much more high-level footwork and striking to be able to use grappling at all."

As a whole, the level of striking in women's UFC fights is still a notch below what you'll find in the men's weight classes. Since the adoption of the women's division in early 2013, a female UFC fighter has yet to score a knockdown due to a standing strike.

The exact reasoning for the lack of knockdowns is difficult to pinpoint, but from Rousey's perspective, it's a product of women's MMA still being in its infancy.

"It's a younger side of the sport that's still developing," she said. "It's going to need a little more time before we can reach the same standard the guys are at because they had a big head start."

Saturday's bout against McMann marks Rousey's third title defense since she was appointed UFC champion in early 2013. Some titleholders get more complacent as their reigns go on, but Rousey remains on her toes. She thinks McMann could be her toughest test yet and, despite the growing confidence in her overall game, she can't take any opponent — especially this one — for granted.

"I approach every fight like I'm fighting for a new belt," Rousey said. "It doesn't matter who you're fighting. You don't start with an extra score on the scoreboard because you won the last fight."

•  

Ronald_Frump

'Elastic Heart' - Ronda Rousey Highlight

•  

lucad

Alright guys, we're almost there! Im completely freaking out about this fight, can't literally wait to see what happens.
Im done with the talking by now, so here's my pick:

I've been listening to experts, interviews, watching footage of the two girls, and my faith in Sara has a little bit decreased in the last weeks. Why? Well I let the explanation to Ronda: she said that the thing that mattered the most to her when she spoke with her friend Shayna Baszler about her previous fight against Sara was knowing about Sara's personality into the cage. Then she went on saying that she's basically aware of the fact that this is the first time around that she faces an equal opponent in terms of physicality, technique and experience (which I believe too), but the key will be: "I (Ronda) am more of a fighter than her, I'm willing to die out there, she can't".

I know that this the usual pre fight talk, but in Ronda's case, I feel like she really means what she says. Her level of self confidence absolutely scares me. You can tell when they mean it or not, well Ronda knows she's gonna face a worthy opponent, but she also knows she's gonna beat her, plain and simple. No other girl has that kind of attitude and personality in the MMA right now. I believe they can't keep up with her mentally. She's definitely the predator and their her preys.

I hope Sara proves me wrong, but I have to pick:

Rousey by armbar in the 2nd round
  •  

Ronald_Frump

I know that "death" quote is being lampooned on the MMA forums, but that's just Ronda's way of bolstering her own mind-set. Basically, Sara's too nice and doesn't possess the skill-set to hang with her.

Rousey by armbar - round 1  8)
  •  

lucad

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 21-Feb-14, 12:45 AM
I know that "death" quote is being lampooned on the MMA forums, but that's just Ronda's way of bolstering her own mind-set. Basically, Sara's too nice and doesn't possess the skill-set to hang with her.

Rousey by armbar - round 1  8)

Well by saying "Sara's too nice" you're actually implying that the mental factor is something which will make a difference in this fight.
Again, I believe instead that Sara possesses everything she needs in terms of skill-set to at least make it very difficult for Ronda. I just can't see Ronda lose, she kills you with her ruthlessness alone, I believe she is a great martial artist but far from perfect, while mentally she looks unbeatable!
This girls looks like frightened chickens when they step into the cage against her.

Btw, tomorrow we're gonna find out, I still have hopes that we're having at least a competitive fight. I'd be fine with it lasting till the 3rd round...

May the best warrior rise and shine.. ;)
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: lucad on 21-Feb-14, 04:26 PM

Well by saying "Sara's too nice" you're actually implying that the mental factor is something which will make a difference in this fight.
Again, I believe instead that Sara possesses everything she needs in terms of skill-set to at least make it very difficult for Ronda. I just can't see Ronda lose, she kills you with her ruthlessness alone, I believe she is a great martial artist but far from perfect, while mentally she looks unbeatable!
This girls looks like frightened chickens when they step into the cage against her.

I think Sara doesn't have the natural instinct to hurt someone. In wrestling, she could win by controlling and pinning her opponents and nobody was deliberately trying to break limbs in order to win. I think Ronda goes out to hurt people. Judo rules didn't give her the opportunity to roll for minutes on end, trying to rip someone's arm out of socket - MMA does, and she loves it: check how she kept cranking the armbar @ Rousey/Tate II, AFTER Miesha tapped. She only let go when the ref intervened.  All this talk about "deathmatches"..... I believe Ronda would thrive in that environment. Sara better tap!
  •  

Ronald_Frump

•  

Ronald_Frump

UFC 170: Rousey vs. McMann

Card Info

Date: February 22, 2014

Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center

Main Card Broadcast: PPV (7pm PT/ 10pm ET/ 3am UK)

Prelims Broadcast: Fox Sports 1 (5pm PT/ 8pm ET/ 1am UK)

Prelims Broadcast: UFC Fight Pass (4pm PT/ 7pm ET/ 12am UK)

Main Card (Pay-Per-View) 7pm PT/ 10pm ET/ 3am UK

Women's Bantamweight Championship
Ronda Rousey (c) (8-0) vs. Sara McMann (7-0)

Light Heavyweight
Daniel Cormier (13-0) vs. Patrick Cummins (4-0)

Welterweight
Rory MacDonald (15-2) vs. Demian Maia (18-5)

Welterweight
Mike Pyle (25-9-1, -200) vs. TJ Waldburger (16-8)

Welterweight
Robert Whittaker (12-3) vs. Stephen Thompson (8-1)

Preliminary Bouts (Fox Sports 1) 5pm PT/ 8pm ET/ 1am UK

Women's Bantamweight
Alexis Davis (15-5) vs. Jessica Eye (11-1)

Bantamweight
Raphael Assuncao (20-4) vs. Pedro Munhoz (10-0)

Bantamweight
Cody Gibson (11-3) vs. Aljamain Sterling (8-0)

Flyweight
Zach Makovsky (16-4) vs. Josh Sampo (11-2)

Preliminary Bouts (UFC Fight Pass) 4pm PT/ 7pm ET/ 12am UK

Lightweight
Rafaello Oliveira (15-6) vs. Erik Koch (13-3)

Lightweight
Ernest Chavez (6-0) vs. Yosdenis Cedeno (9-2)
  •  

ivyhill

My UFC buddies are not interested in the card tonight so we are not gathering for our monthly UFC night at the house. I am also not paying $65 for ppv all by myself so I am off to Buffalo Wild Wings in an hour to watch the fight - lol
  •  

Ronald_Frump

I was hoping for something better.......   :(   was it a premature stoppage?

•  

ivyhill

Just got home from the fight - wtf was that???
One knee and the fight was stopped?
He should have allowed Ronda to at least throw some punches to make sure. I think it was stopped to early but I am also disappointed in Sara's performance. Is Ronda that good? I am starting to think so.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

UFC 170: Post-Fight Press Conference Highlights

•