News:

Guests cannot see the Video section at all - create an account!

Main Menu

Womens' MMA mega-thread

Started by Ronald_Frump, 21-Oct-12, 06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald_Frump

For all things WMMA related. Gossip, events, results.......if it involves two women kicking, punching and grappling.......it goes here  8)

Ronda Rousey may be featured on January Strikeforce mega-show

According to an Oct. 20 report from MMA Mania, Strikeforce is aiming for a January mega-show featuring Ronda Rousey and several other MMA superstars.

"We're looking at a show in January with Daniel Cormier, Luke Rockhold and Gilbert Melendez, and don't be surprised to see Ronda Rousey and Nate Marquardt as well," Strikeforce boss Scott Coker said.

Strikeforce cancelled back-to-back events after several of its top stars went down with injuries. The promotion recently announced it would make it up to MMA fans by holding a mega-show in January featuring its top talent.

"Showtime's goal as a premium channel is to put on something great," manager of sports communications Annie Van Tornhout told MMA Fighting. "With the injuries, both sides decided to hold off and put together something amazing in January."

Rousey is coming off back-to-back victories over Miesha Tate and Sarah Kaufman, and she's one of the fastest-rising stars in MMA.

"Due to a series of injuries, we were forced to cancel the upcoming card on Nov. 3, but are already working to put together a stacked card in January," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said.

Use 7z / WinRAR - Password: VictoryIsMine!
  •  

sleepinbin

I cant help but wonder if they'll throw her someone squashy. not just her, but the rest of the big names on the card as well - strikeforce is hurting for legit challengers in ANY division, but sf's womens BW roster is definitely not rife with contenders. 

honestly at this point, strikeforce is a waste of rousey's (and cormier's, and melendez's etc etc) time and effort - showtime need to stop dragging this out, let the ufc buy out the contract, kill the promotion and bring them into the big show for real. this is what rousey needs, and what wmma as a whole needs. this kind of strikeforce super-card (which i struggle to believe will materialise in the form that it was concieved) is a frustrating waste of time and talent  :-\
  •  

Ronald_Frump

TBH, I think the recent cancellations have forced their hand into making an announcement of this sort. IMHO, ultimately it's a doomed org and this could well be their death-rattle.
  •  

sammy_scuffles

I can't think of a decent fight for any of the names mentioned above. I know Mir was going to head over to Strikeforce to fight Cormier until he got hurt, so maybe they'll find another UFC fighter to match up with him.

As for Rousey, Liz Carmouche is agitating real hard for that fight after Sarah McMann pulled out of their fight with a foot injury. While I don't think that she's all that much threat to Rousey she is a pretty tough brawler and she won't be afraid to take the fight to her. It's as good a matchup as any other non-Cyborg fight out there.

I do think Strikeforce is on its last legs. I could see it being used as a proper "minor league" for up-and-coming fighters that aren't ready for the UFC, but it doesn't look like they're planning on doing that so it might as well just go away quietly.
  •  

sleepinbin

Quote from: sammy_scuffles on 22-Oct-12, 04:59 AM
I do think Strikeforce is on its last legs. I could see it being used as a proper "minor league" for up-and-coming fighters that aren't ready for the UFC, but it doesn't look like they're planning on doing that so it might as well just go away quietly.

i think this was the initial plan, to use it as a feeder league, but showtime made that more or less impossible, especially with their recent decisions to cancel any cards that they don't think are good enough
  •  

jiminy

I feel the UFC has kind of stagnated this year. Too many injuries, too many drug problems and too many lacklustre cards.

It's become more like quantity over quality.

To be honest, MMA may very well have already reached its zenith.

Time for Boxing to come back in a BIG way. ;D
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: jiminy on 22-Oct-12, 12:50 PM

I hope the "Judge" doesn't see this!  ;D
  •  

sammy_scuffles

Quote from: jiminy on 22-Oct-12, 12:50 PM
I feel the UFC has kind of stagnated this year. Too many injuries, too many drug problems and too many lacklustre cards.

It's become more like quantity over quality.

To be honest, MMA may very well have already reached its zenith.

I think the UFC has tried to put on too many cards. But hey, I'm sure they're better at business than I am. I do think that MMA is still growing in popularity in places outside the USA. Places like Brazil and China look like huge markets for it. Heck, there aren't all that many people in Australia but we get 2 or 3 new walk-ins for BJJ or MMA classes at my gym every week.

Besides, boxing coming back in a big way would require boxing to not suck and not be run by morons. (More the run by morons bit I think)
  •  

crushed4life

So, if Strikeforce dies, what will Ronda do? Maybe go to the Invicta promotion? I doubt Dana White's dehydrated bb of a brain will allow him to put girls in the UFC  :-\
  •  

crushed4life

Miesha Tate tweets it's OK for a man to hit a woman if she hits first
By Maggie Hendricks | Cagewriter – Fri, Oct 19, 2012 9:43 AM EDT.. .

When talking to fans on Twitter on Thursday night, former Strikeforce bantamweight champion Miesha Tate said it is OK for men to hit women if women hit them.

My point is society needs to stop putting double standards that it's ok for a woman to challenge/hit a man & he can do or say NOTHING

— Miesha Tate (@MieshaTate) October 19, 2012

that's what I believe "@tugboat101: @mieshatate If a female attacks someone doesn't she forfeit her right to being treated like a female?"

— Miesha Tate (@MieshaTate) October 19, 2012

It's not surprising that Tate would take this stance. She has spent her career in what is often considered a man's job and has likely been the victim of several double standards. She sees how double standards can be damaging, and doesn't think women should expect to be the beneficiary of them.
  •  

sammy_scuffles

^ Heh, I read that one too. I was going to post it and see what you guys thought of it but I forgot.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: sammy_scuffles on 23-Oct-12, 04:24 AM
^ Heh, I read that one too. I was going to post it and see what you guys thought of it but I forgot.

Do you agree with Miesha, Sammy?
  •  

sammy_scuffles

I haven't actually looked to see what the context of that twitter discussion was, but if I walked up to a guy and punched him in the face I hardly think I'd have grounds to complain if he hit me back. I have no real problem with someone defending themselves so long as they use a sensible level of force.

My opinion on real fights / assaults is pretty simple. If you start a real fight or assault someone you should go to jail until you're capable of behaving like a sensible person. I don't care if it's a man or a woman. Stop being a tool, go to jail!
  •  

crushed4life

I don't know, but I think they were probably talking about that bus driver who decked some woman who was taunting and hitting him. She's labeled a teen in the video title, but actually she's about 24. The video went viral on youtube, and it was even being discussed on The View a few days ago. Whoopi said something about how women can't hit guys these days without expecting to be hit back.
  •  

crushed4life

Let's not get too excited about women in the UFC
Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Last night, Melissa Segura of Sports Illustrated quoted UFC president Dana White as saying that there will be women in the UFC. Though it is encouraging to see it in print, the article was published without any context. For one thing, White has said similar things in media scrums for a while now. So for those of us who follow this story closely, it's old news. And the article doesn't mention Showtime which is the main obstacle to women, or more specifically, Ronda Rousey, fighting in the UFC. It's wrong to report things like you're in a vacuum.Obviously because White is infatuated with Ronda, she will fight in the UFC. But nothing has changed with Strikeforce and Showtime so it ain't happening for a while. And it remains to be seen if White will commit to women's MMA or just Ronda. I have my doubts. It's all up to Showtime. If they pick up the option to extend their Strikeforce contract until 2014, there is nothing that Zuffa can do about it. Why it is assumed they won't pick up that option contradicts history. MMA has been on Showtime since 2007. And with everything they have had to deal with from EliteXC's bankruptcy to having to do business with a company they don't like very much, meaning Zuffa, it's obvious that the value of providing MMA to their subscribers far outweighs the shortcomings. If that wasn't true, Showtime wouldn't have renewed the Strikeforce contract last year. Zuffa has no one to blame but themselves for this situation. Shortsightedness tends to catch up to you in the fight business. So don't get too excited. We will see women in the UFC...someday.
  •