News:

Both female (F-F) and mixed (F-M) wrestling related material is welcomed.

Main Menu

Womens' MMA mega-thread

Started by Ronald_Frump, 21-Oct-12, 06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammy_scuffles

I'm sure nobody saw this coming, but apparently Strikeforce is going to fold after their January card and Ronda Rousey will be moving to the UFC.

Linky
  •  

sleepinbin

Quote from: sammy_scuffles on 09-Nov-12, 03:39 AM
I'm sure nobody saw this coming, but apparently Strikeforce is going to fold after their January card and Ronda Rousey will be moving to the UFC.

Linky

expected but really awesome!

worrying how tmz has become such a source of breaking mma news... 
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Thanks Sammy, :k2:

So will Ronda be the only one actually in the UFC, fighting Invicta imports twice a year?
Use 7z / WinRAR - Password: VictoryIsMine!
  •  

sammy_scuffles

I really have no idea. There isn't that many fighters I can think of that you can convincingly sell as a threat to her right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ronda vs someone (Carmouche? Possibly even Cyborg?) on the main card and the next contenders match be in the undercard (McMann vs somebody would seem to be a likely option).

I don't think they can try to create a whole UFC division for the women straight off the bat. I'd expect them to let Invicta do that work while picking the best fights off the top to put on UFC cards. I would really love to see some kind of deal cut between the UFC and Invicta to allow fighters to work for both. Seems like the best way to do it to me.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Well, Invicta had an exchange deal with Strikeforce, IIRC, so I would have thought that was the obvious thing to continue with UFC.

If all else fails, we could still go for Ronda vs some bantamweight TUFF guys, couldn't we?    <:W:> 
  •  

sleepinbin

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 09-Nov-12, 04:41 AM
Thanks Sammy, :k2:

So will Ronda be the only one actually in the UFC, fighting Invicta imports twice a year?

i could well be proven wrong, but i find this highly unlikely given how the ufc has operated in the past. remember, she wont be over until early next year, so there's still some time to go. full explanation under sammy's quote below

Quote from: sammy_scuffles on 09-Nov-12, 07:44 AM
I really have no idea. There isn't that many fighters I can think of that you can convincingly sell as a threat to her right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ronda vs someone (Carmouche? Possibly even Cyborg?) on the main card and the next contenders match be in the undercard (McMann vs somebody would seem to be a likely option).

I don't think they can try to create a whole UFC division for the women straight off the bat. I'd expect them to let Invicta do that work while picking the best fights off the top to put on UFC cards. I would really love to see some kind of deal cut between the UFC and Invicta to allow fighters to work for both. Seems like the best way to do it to me.

what i think is most likely to happen is a slow bleed-in like they are doing with flyweights, who have a similarly shallow and difficult to scout accurately talent pool. of course flyws had the advantage of bws cutting down, but the principle will i suspect be the same - start off by signing 4 or 5 girls, maybe hold an unofficial tournament (exactly like flyw) so ronda gets some more exposure and legitimacy to the casual viewer, and a non-gifted belt to boot (the bw and fw wec champs automatically became ufc champs, but were operating in much deeper pools).  of course im assuming she'll win, as is overwhelmingly likely, but even if she does somehow lose (it happens, ask benavidez), whoever beats her would get a massive transferred bump in hype, and ronda would likely get a rematch.

essentially i see them treating invicta like tpf or shooto for the flyws - though theyd be sensible to pursue a more official and less predatory relationship given the tenuousness of the viability wmma that still sadly exists - skimming top talent in an ad hoc fashion and slowly building up a division over a longer stretch. its frustrating in how long it takes but it leads to a much more solidly founded, deep and talented division emerging.

i dont know if you know, but flyws did and still do face a huge amount of animosity from the "just bleed" and more casual sectors of mma fans, as such i think theyre the best analogue for wmma here, and i think zuffa will take the same slow building around a couple of big names approach to erode the bias, putting big fights (i.e. ronda) as co-main events at first and likely taking it from there.     

EDIT: appears i missed part of the story on first skimming, ronda will be crowned champ by default. just imagine everything i said about the unoffical tournament applying to the second person to get a title shot. the rest still applies though. apparently the ufc have also signed miesha tate. guess the lure of money and exposure changed her mind about dropping to 125/stepping away from the sport :P

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 09-Nov-12, 09:02 AM
If all else fails, we could still go for Ronda vs some bantamweight TUFF guys, couldn't we?    <:W:> 

oh you. never change  ;D
  •  

crushed4life

Rousey Inks UFC Deal, Strikeforce Swan Song Set

by Thomas Myers, Nov 8, 9:28p

Ronda Rousey has reportedly inked a landmark deal, becoming the first-ever female fighter to join the UFC as her current employer, Strikeforce, plans to hold its last mixed martial arts (MMA) event on Showtime on Jan. 13, 2013.
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/11/8/3620578/report-strikeforce-folding-jan-2013-showtime-ronda-rousey-ufc

Miesha Tate says she's UFC-bound

by Jesse Holland, Nov 9, 9:30a

Less than 24 hours after Strikeforce Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey announced her addition to the ranks of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), former division titleholder Miesha Tate brought word that she will join her "Rowdy" rival under the Z
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/11/9/3121084/miesha-tate-signs-with-ufc-ronda-rousey-womens-mma-division

UFC President Dana White reacts to the demise of Strikeforce and his acquisition of Ronda Rousey...
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/11/9/3622578/ufc-president-dana-white-reacts-to-the-demise-of-strikeforce-and-his

Pros react to Ronda Rousey's UFC signing

by Jesse Holland, Nov 9, 1:22p

Less than 24 hours after Strikeforce Women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey signed with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), her fellow mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters took to Twitter to sound off on "Rowdy's" historic career move.
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/11/9/3622546/pros-react-ronda-rousey-ufc-signing-strikeforce-mma
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Thanks Crush.....:k1:

PS. I know this may be going slightly off-topic, but I have this sudden desire to "cream" Ronda in her cauliflower-ear....... ::).........and I bet she'd be lovin' it!

•  

sammy_scuffles

Quote..sudden desire..

Liar.

Rousey vs Carmouche on the main card and McMann vs Tate as a number one contenders bout on the under card. Pleaaaaaaase.
What can go wrong? Carmouche is a tough chick and an ex marine so people are going to be willing to get behind her, McMann vs Tate would be a shot at fight of the night and Rousey would probably win submission of the night. How's that not fun?
  •  

crushed4life

•  

DR

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 09-Nov-12, 06:44 PM
I know this may be going slightly off-topic, but I have this sudden desire to "cream" Ronda in her cauliflower-ear....... ::).........and I bet she'd be lovin' it!

Well, if she doesn't like it, and it upsets her instead, no matter what, DO NOT let her take your arm  ;)
  •  

crushed4life

Quote from: DR on 09-Nov-12, 07:49 PM
Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 09-Nov-12, 06:44 PM
I know this may be going slightly off-topic, but I have this sudden desire to "cream" Ronda in her cauliflower-ear....... ::).........and I bet she'd be lovin' it!

Well, if she doesn't like it, and it upsets her instead, no matter what, DO NOT let her take your arm  ;)

meh, she wouldn't even notice, he's hung like an infant  ::) ;D
  •  

sammy_scuffles

Miesha Tate signs with the UFC as well. Linky.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

•  

RBAP

•