News:

Guests cannot see the Video section at all - create an account!

Main Menu

Womens' MMA mega-thread

Started by Ronald_Frump, 21-Oct-12, 06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiminy

So, just to play devil's advocate, if Ronda Rousey and Dominick Cruz were to fight to unify the men's & women's 135-pound titles, how would the fight actually go down?

Would he finish her within the first minute or so via KO/TKO, or would it take longer? Could she pose a threat at all?
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: jiminy on 18-Nov-12, 05:49 PM
So, just to play devil's advocate, if Ronda Rousey and Dominick Cruz were to fight to unify the men's & women's 135-pound titles, how would the fight actually go down?

Would he finish her within the first minute or so via KO/TKO, or would it take longer? Could she pose a threat at all?

I personally think that if she could survive long enough to clinch, then Ronda has a very good chance of submitting ANYONE male or female, of the same weight. Just because she's made the rest of WMMA look like "cans" isn't her fault. They could feed her someone like Cody McKenzie or Bryan Caraway, then we'd be able to better judge her potential. If that ever happened, bet the house on:

Rousey by armbar.
Use 7z / WinRAR - Password: VictoryIsMine!
  •  

sleepinbin

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 18-Nov-12, 06:08 PM

I personally think that if she could survive long enough to clinch, then Ronda has a very good chance of submitting ANYONE male or female, of the same weight. Just because she's made the rest of WMMA look like "cans" isn't her fault. They could feed her someone like Cody McKenzie or Bryan Caraway, then we'd be able to better judge her potential. If that ever happened, bet the house on:

Rousey by armbar.

oh come off it :P history aside, caraway is not a low-level fighter...

as for cruz, look, there would be literally no way ronda wins that, sorry - you want to talk about someone who is incredibly hard to get hold of? cruz. that chat is just silly :P
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: sleepinbin on 18-Nov-12, 07:27 PM
Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 18-Nov-12, 06:08 PM

Rousey by armbar.

oh come off it :P history aside, caraway is not a low-level fighter...

as for cruz, look, there would be literally no way ronda wins that, sorry - you want to talk about someone who is incredibly hard to get hold of? cruz. that chat is just silly :P

He only has to make one error, one miss-hit, a slip.......anything. Once she grabs on, he's in her world. Remember, there's no size difference like a "Bones" or JDS confrontation. As for Caraway, he'd be lucky to survive the first round.

If you're telling me that testosterone and a set of balls trump elite Olympic-level newaza skills on the ground, then I might as well drive a tractor off the top of a multi-story parking-lot..........

•  

sleepinbin

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 18-Nov-12, 07:55 PM
He only has to make one error, one miss-hit, a slip.......anything. Once she grabs on, he's in her world. Remember, there's no size difference like a "Bones" or JDS confrontation. As for Caraway, he'd be lucky to survive the first round.

If you're telling me that testosterone and a set of balls trump elite Olympic-level newaza skills on the ground, then I might as well drive a tractor off the top of a multi-story parking-lot..........

nope, im saying you are grossly understimating the skill level of hypothetical opponents. but i think we've seen this film before, we aren't gonna agree... :P
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Mark my words brother......one day Dana will see the light.......and then we will know for sure  ;)
  •  

crushed4life

Well if and when she beats Mr. Cyborg, then maybe dim bulb Dana will get enlightened...
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: crushed4life on 19-Nov-12, 02:31 AM
Well if and when she beats Mr. Cyborg, then maybe dim bulb Dana will get enlightened...

If she does it in convincing style, there'd be nowhere for her to go, competition-wise, other than a media-circus, inter-gender match. I mean look at the ex-champs. Tate was almost dismembered within minutes, Kaufman lasted seconds........Coenen, McMann and the rest of the "b" grade would follow suit. Its going to take years for serious competition to emerge, so how long would UFC fans tolerate 30 second beatdowns? Many of these so-called "fans" are anti-WMMA to start with, so Dana's made a rod for his own back now he's incorporated WMMA into the UFC. IMHO Invicta has the numbers to make entertaining, close-fought cards.

The problem with Ronda is that she really IS that good and may end up becoming a victim of her own success.  :-\
  •  

sleepinbin

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 19-Nov-12, 04:26 AM
Quote from: crushed4life on 19-Nov-12, 02:31 AM

If she does it in convincing style, there'd be nowhere for her to go, competition-wise, other than a media-circus, inter-gender match. I mean look at the ex-champs. Tate was almost dismembered within minutes, Kaufman lasted seconds........Coenen, McMann and the rest of the "b" grade would follow suit. Its going to take years for serious competition to emerge, so how long would UFC fans tolerate 30 second beatdowns? Many of these so-called "fans" are anti-WMMA to start with, so Dana's made a rod for his own back now he's incorporated WMMA into the UFC. IMHO Invicta has the numbers to make entertaining, close-fought cards.

The problem with Ronda is that she really IS that good and may end up becoming a victim of her own success.  :-\

all of this probably makes sense except the inter-gender match part (consider the UFC's business model and consider the sport's position and the public perception - people would go *insane* in a bad way).

when cyborg was champ she had similar problems - strikeforce couldnt find match-ups for her. i suspect that the ufc has a plan here, and wmma is in a better place than it was back then. also, you really do never know when the next phenom will emerge... 
  •  

femfightwatcher

They need something like a Bring it, Bitch! match, with no armbars allowed for the first 15 or 20 minutes.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: femfightwatcher on 19-Nov-12, 10:18 AM
They need something like a Bring it, Bitch! match, with no armbars allowed for the first 15 or 20 minutes.

lol!
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Rousey first UFC women's bantamweight champ, 'Cyborg' not invited unless at 135

MONTREAL – The first-ever UFC women's bantamweight title belt is being fabricated at this very moment, according to UFC President Dana White.

That strap will go to now-ex-Strikeforce champ Ronda Rousey (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who this week signed with the UFC.

Rousey's octagon debut date is unknown, according to White, though it will be on a UFC pay-per-view card. And unless a champion of greater weight is on the card, Rousey will headline.

As for the first opponent to meet the women's MMA superstar, White was unsure. But he seemed cold on the possibility of a fight between Rousey and ex-Strikeforce featherweight champ Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos, who has sparred with Rousey in the press.

"Our matchmakers have talked to their camp, and she doesn't seem too excited to fight Ronda," White said.

Santos was stripped of Strikeforce's 145-pound title after testing positive for Stanozolol metabolites following a win over Hiroko Yamanaka at a Strikeforce event this past December. She denied knowingly taking steroids and said a tainted supplement was to blame.

Santos repeatedly has said she is unable to make the 135-pound limit needed to challenge Rousey, recently claiming a weight drop could harm her health and potentially affect her ability to have children.

White said Rousey was the only fighter currently signed to the UFC, though he said all female Strikeforce fighters were ultimately signed to UFC and Strikeforce parent company Zuffa.

A previous agreement with broadcast partner Showtime not to sign or lend fighters from Strikeforce apparently was dropped. Two weeks ago, word spread that Rousey was UFC-bound and the sister promotion was set to fold following a Jan. 12 event.

"We're bringing in the 135-pound division," White said. "I'm trying this whole women's thing out. Obviously, Ronda is the champ. I think Ronda has the potential to be a big star. She's already getting media that we've never even gotten before, and she's never even set foot in the UFC yet. That's the division that we're bringing in. We're bringing in the 135-pound division."

White went so far as to say Rousey and another female could potentially coach male fighters on the UFC's flagship reality show, "The Ultimate Fighter."

Rousey won the Strikeforce 135-pound women's belt in March with a first-round armbar submission over Miesha Tate. She then defended it in August with another quick armbar over ex-champ Sarah Kaufman. In total, she's stopped nine opponents in the first frame with the joint lock.

A recent tweet from Tate announcing her signing with the UFC appears premature.

ref.  mmajunk!e.com  Nov 18, 2012.

•  

jiminy

Awesome. Look forward to seeing women in the UFC.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

That guy's trying to nab a feel of Ronda's "ladybits".........I predict a broken arm!
  •  

jiminy

I'm not sure. His arm already looks limp to me. Maybe she already snapped it? ...And is now taking out the trash.  ;D :-\

Look at the relaxation on her face. It's no problem for her to lift a bigger guy with ease. :yes: :bow1:
  •