News:

Guests cannot see the Video section at all - create an account!

Main Menu

Deposit Files.

Started by mystified, 21-Oct-18, 11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mystified

Has anyone else noticed a drastic sudden change in Deposit Files downloads. We now have to wait 99 secs instead of 30 secs. I indicate this only to note that a change has occurred. The real annoying sudden change is to the download speed which has been throttled back to an average 50 Kb/sec which means films are taking 3 to 4 hours to download, that would only take minutes using a decent Filehost like Mega. Yes, I know we should be grateful of any free content, but this seems so unnecessary and no---it is not my system or its settings. Other Filehosts are unchanged.
  •  

dark87dan

Yes I agree.  I have a Gold account and it takes hours and hours to download a file.
  •  

mystified

Deposit Files has now got even worse. Recently, it told me that all it's free slots were full, for people using ad blocking software, and that I should try again later. What has my use of an advert blocker got to do with them. This was a download in the "Queens That Love To Be Mean" section, postings that are otherwise excellent. When I finally did manage to get a download going, it's speed was throttled back to around 50 Kb/sec. The file was 2.62 Gb, so this translated to a expected download time of around 15 hours---a ridiculous length of time. Yes, I know that the content is free and we should be grateful, but why is ANYBODY using the likes of Deposit Files and Keep2Share, when free file hosts such as Mediafire and Mega can do such a download in a fraction of  this time and can also do multiple downloads. C'mon, lets dump useless Deposit Files whilst they are pursuing this new policy.
  •  

ownboss

There is nothing wrong with Deposit Files, as I have just tested them out with a 2.1gig file and it came down the pipe in 11 minutes which is within reason pretty quick. There are several reasons why your downloads could be slow ( see list below ) and one of them is always the FREE demo service rate.

1 The ping rate between you and Deposit Files is low?
2 Their FREE service is for demo purposes only?
3 Your broadband speed is low and needs an upgrade?
4 A Shared network connection with other family members?
5 CPU and RAM needs to be increased to speed up processing?

These services have to make money we all agree right, so offering a slow FREE service is better than a punch in the nuts. So instead of whining about it, simply do what I have done and dig into your pockets and shell out a few bucks to obtain the full speed, especially if you're going to download a lot of stuff from this forum.

Hope this helps?

P.S: I do have a Media Fire and Mega account, both of which are as you say fast. But in defense of Deposit Files, they are lightning quick if you pay a small subscription!
Bringing Order To The Chaos Created By A World Infested With Idiots!
  •  

ChicagoAlan

Here's a different observation.

I've had a PAID subscription to Depositfiles for years also.  I find the download speed varies wildly from day to day.   Sometimes it's as fast as Mega, but just as often it's as slow as the free version, at least for me here in the USA Midwest.  I'm sure depending where you are on the planet your mileage may vary.
  •  

ownboss

Quote from: ChicagoAlan on 28-Oct-18, 09:28 AM
Here's a different observation.

I've had a PAID subscription to Depositfiles for years also.  I find the download speed varies wildly from day to day.   Sometimes it's as fast as Mega, but just as often it's as slow as the free version, at least for me here in the USA Midwest.  I'm sure depending where you are on the planet your mileage may vary.

I must agree with you on this and point out which hosters are the best for me :-)

the 1gig file download test in minutes?

1 ) Mega NZ      - 1 Mins 54 Secs ( Free )
2 ) Media Fire    - 2 Mins 15 Secs ( Paid )
3 ) Deposit File  - 3 Mins 12 Secs ( Paid )

Hope this helps?
Bringing Order To The Chaos Created By A World Infested With Idiots!
  •  

mystified

Thanks to the people who have commented on what I've said about Deposit Files. OK ownboss., you made 5 points. Here's my take on them.
1/  I have just done a speed check and my ping is 98 ms.
3/   My download speed was 53.34 Mb/s and upload was 17.56 Mb/s. I don't think that is too bad for a fibre to cabinet setup.
4/   There is no shared network.
5/   My CPU and RAM ( 8GB ) is perfectly OK for use with the other filehosts I mentioned ( Mediafire and Mega ). They are MILES faster and even their free versions support multiple downloads.

In his post,dark87dan, stated that even his Gold account sometimes took hours to download relatively small files. You have been quick to jump to the defence of Deposit Files and I'm happy for you that you find them adequate. Me, I'll stand by my original statement that since they changed recently, they are now a bag of shite.
  •