News:

Both female (F-F) and mixed (F-M) wrestling related material is welcomed.

Main Menu

Upscaling Files with AI

Started by magicstar, 20-Nov-22, 05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicstar

UPSCALING FILES WITH AI

I have just posted an upscaled file on HQ Mixed and I think this is the right section to comment on it.
I have seen the incredible results of upscaling videos with AI in some posts of other friends and I have decided to do it myself. So I bought a new Mac Mini with M1 processor and bought the software (Topaz), with a total cost of about € 900.
The results are just mind boggling!!
The beauty of it is that you can upscale and drastically improve files in low resolutions that have never been released in better quality. Imagine those rare and amazing youtube amateur files in awful quality upscaled 200% or even 400%. Of course you cannot make miracles if the resolution is extremely bad but you can surely drastically improve them.
The software requires a VERY powerful computer especially in the graphic section because it takes hours to upscale a single file but with the relatively cheap Mac Mini (you just need the basic model with 256G HD and 8 GB RAM, more expensive models are just wasted money) the results are fantastic!!
One more word on Topaz: the older version 2.6.4 is the one I prefer, although I have the updated 3.0.4. -
The software generates HUGE files, and in the new version the files are literally gargantuan, even 10 or more GBs, whereas in the older version files are a few GBs!!!Has anybody had this size problem with the new version of Topaz? Any solution?
Pls let me know if I am allowed to post on HQ these upscaled files and I will post the ones where the result is impeccable. Comments are welcome
  •  

voayer

You don't have an option to set output bitrate? 6000-8000 kbps for 1980/1080 resolution is just enough. By standard bitrate 25-30 fps.
  •  

magicstar

Yes thanks you are right, most are 25/30 fps, and I use the same in the output. SPeed of conversion is not bad (again, M1 Mac processor is just amazing), files are bery big, bust absolutely gargantuan with the latest Topaz 3.0.4. I tried to convert the .mp4 output into .mpv with  VLC, the size is much reduced and the quality remains still very good, but if you try to fast forward you lose a lot of info and it gets very jerky.
  •  

voayer

Quote from: magicstar on 20-Nov-22, 10:15 AMYes thanks you are right, most are 25/30 fps, and I use the same in the output. SPeed of conversion is not bad (again, M1 Mac processor is just amazing), files are bery big, bust absolutely gargantuan with the latest Topaz 3.0.4. I tried to convert the .mp4 output into .mpv with  VLC, the size is much reduced and the quality remains still very good, but if you try to fast forward you lose a lot of info and it gets very jerky.
OK, if you don't have an option to set a proper bitrate with Topaz, use avidemux to resize filesize. Generates better quality files than VLC.
Here is their download page:
https://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win64/You can also download zip version and you don't even have to install. Just unzip and run avidemux.exe
Sometimes for damaged files i must run 10 years old version of avidemux, but that's another story.
  •  

magicstar

Many thanks for your help. In fact I did download Avidemux before and I have it on my mac, but I have no idea about the settings to choose so I gave up with it....
  •  

magicstar

Ok I got the info here https://filmora.wondershare.com/avidemux/reduce-video-size-with-avidemux.html
I have started with a 3.5 gb file.....let's see what happen  ;)
  •  

magicstar

I did it...same results as with VLC, a 40% reduction in size with noticeble quality loss and a huge difference in fast forward (video very jerky). Non worth it I am afraid....I prefer to keep the size and the fantastic quality....thanks so much anyway for your help!!
  •  

voayer

Here are the settings i use:
Video otput ....Mpeg4AVC (x264)
Configure-->General Constant bitrate(Single Pass) Target Bitrate 3000kbps(1200x720) or 6000kbps (1920x1080)
Filters .....depends if you need to resize, crop.etc, etc
Audio Output MP3(lame) or AAC(FDK) 44100Hz 128 kbps
Output Format  MP4 Muxer

Maybe you should try with some short file, so conversion won't take that long, or use A(set start marker) B(set end marker) buttons (on the bottom of the avidemux window) to convert just 30 sec to see how conversions works.

•  

stealth

Glad it's finally working now on M1! The Mac version of Topaz is just painfully slow unfortunately. The technology is designed for NVidia graphics cards which aren't MacOS compatible, and takes forever running on anything else. Hoping they can start to address this and update it to perform better with AMD and Apple silicon in future versions.

Can't argue with the results. If I was on PC, I'd probably grab a new RTX card and play with it a lot more often.
  •  

DR

Are you working with MacOS version or Windows? I'm guessing, since you have M1 processor, you are using Parallels, or something similar, if it's Windows.
  •  

magicstar

MacOS (Ventura) on a MacMini 2020 with m1 processor, so no Windows, no Parallels. Now I am trying Avidemux with voayer settings
  •  

magicstar

stealth, you are right for the older version, starting from 2.6.4 Topaz is optimized for M1 and the speed is good (I even get 0,09 spf). A basic Macmini costs around € 700, to assemble a PC with Nvidia and a good processor you need at least twice if not more, and the Mac Mini is TOTALLY silent and stays totally cool even under big load.
  •  

magicstar

Have you seen the video I posted on Mix HQ? What do you think? It was upscaled from 720 to 1080
  •  

stealth

Quote from: magicstar on 20-Nov-22, 03:38 PMstealth, you are right for the older version, starting from 2.6.4 Topaz is optimized for M1 and the speed is good (I even get 0,09 spf). A basic Macmini costs around € 700, to assemble a PC with Nvidia and a good processor you need at least twice if not more, and the Mac Mini is TOTALLY silent and stays totally cool even under big load.

Oh totally, I have a M1 MAX Mac Studio and love it. But even with the newer Topaz it's just painfully slow on M1 compared to a PC  :(

From what I'm told it's still something like 8-10x faster with an Intel/NVidia Windows setup. Hope they can keep working on the performance and eventually catch up. I have no interest in going back to PC ;)
  •  

magicstar

Wow, stealth, you have a beast of a machine!! Actually I read that nowadays the gap between PC and Mac is much smaller, and what professionals do to have the fastest results is to divide the video file in smaller bits, use several MacMini to upscale the parts and then rejoin them.
 Voayer, I used the settings you suggested and......WOW!!!
 I converted an old Cretive Film that I really liked (CFV 80). I had the original on VHS, I converted it into DVD, and I had the mpeg file. I upscaled it 200% with Topaz 2.6.4. and I had a huge 6,45 Gbs.
 I then used Avidemux with your settings (bitrate 3000) and I have now a 856,6 Mbs in excellent quality and going well even in FF. Even smaller than the mpeg in lower quality that was upscaled!!!
 I am going to upload it on HQ mixed and pls give me your opinion.
 I will try with another file.
 So many thanks for your precious advice!!
  •