UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche: Official discussion thread.....

Started by Ronald_Frump, 23-Feb-13, 08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How will the new UFC WMMA Bantamweight champion win?

Ronda subs Liz in less than a minute
1 (16.7%)
Ronda subs Liz in the first round
4 (66.7%)
Ronda subs Liz at some point
1 (16.7%)
It goes to a decision
0 (0%)
Liz wins, by whatever means she can
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: 24-Feb-13, 08:07 AM

Ronald_Frump

Use 7z / WinRAR - Password: VictoryIsMine!
  •  

jiminy

Any red-blooded male viewer.  ;D

TBH, I don't really mind who wins. It's a tough call. Both come from similar high school wrestling backgrounds where they wrestled on the boys' team. It's a step up in competition for Cat who has fought most of her career so far at 125 so the size advantage has to go to Miesha. I've got a hunch that Cat will win a decision, though.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Fancy a bet?

If Cat wins, I give you 10 karma. If Miesha wins you give me 10 karma?

;D
  •  

Ronald_Frump

•  

crushed4life

Not from the beginning but 1st time I've seen this:
the ref was right on top of this, hehe...

•  

crushed4life

•  

sammy_scuffles

I would like to see how Ronda managed to end up with Carmouche on her back like that. Was definitely a dangerous position there for a while.

I haven't seen many of Zingano's fights, but from the looks of her Invicta 3 fight with Pennington she's got good solid wrestling. Should be a good fight with Tate - and I guess the winner is likely to get next shot at Ronda.
  •  

sleepinbin

Quote from: sammy_scuffles on 24-Feb-13, 10:36 PM
I would like to see how Ronda managed to end up with Carmouche on her back like that. Was definitely a dangerous position there for a while.

bad top control, carmouche was able to escape and take her back in the process.

basically rousey won but looked beatable - the ufc couldnt have asked for a better result.   
  •  

crushed4life

Quote from: sleepinbin on 25-Feb-13, 02:13 PM
Quote from: sammy_scuffles on 24-Feb-13, 10:36 PM

bad top control, carmouche was able to escape and take her back in the process.

basically rousey won but looked beatable - the ufc couldnt have asked for a better result.   
That's what I thought, although in response to a question if she was worried, she was like, it was no big deal, she was more worried about her shorts coming off, hmmmmm.... ::)
I think Cyborg is going to be working overtime on her RNC skills, I know I would  ;)
  •  

crushed4life

Ronda Rousey returns windfall for UFC

By Lance Pugmire
February 26, 2013, 9:19 a.m.
This post has been corrected. See below for details.

Ronda Rousey's dramatic first victory by a woman in the Ultimate Fighting Championship octagon was a financial bonanza for the fight organization.

In addition to a sellout crowd of 15,525 at Honda Center that generated a live gate in excess of $1.4 million, pay-per-view figures were assessed as 40% better than the UFC's Super Bowl weekend card that featured Jose Aldo retaining his featherweight belt against Frankie Edgar.

While UFC officials don't publicly share their pay-per-view totals, an official with knowledge of the figures said with replay sales, Rousey's first-round armbar submission of Liz Carmouche could near 500,000 buys.

The fight cost $44.99 on standard-definition, $54.99 on HD.

"PPV was huge; she's a legit star," UFC Chairman Lorenzo Fertitta texted The Times on Monday night of Rousey, the 26-year-old Venice fighter and 2008 judo bronze medalist for the U.S. Olympic team who is now 7-0 with seven first-round armbars.

That number is far and away better than the prior pay-per-view record for a female fight which pitted the daughters of Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier and generated 125,000 buys.

UFC President Dana White said after the bout that Rousey will continue as a main-event draw in the UFC after she avoided a near rear naked chokehold  by Carmouche and rallied to end the fight in her definitive style.

"I wasn't nervous," Rousey said of Carmouche's near-decisive hold. "She had it across my face. I had dislocated my jaw as a kid, so my mouthpiece came out and her arm went into my teeth. I was not intending to bite you at all, dude," she said to Carmouche.

"I was very aware of the severity of the situation. I thought it was a great fight that lived up to all the hype. And I think by the sound of the crowd, they were very happy with the fight."

White heaped heavy praise on Rousey for hyping the bout and opening up about her personal life, which included her struggles to speak as a young child, her father's suicide and her decision to drop out of Santa Monica High School.

"I'm going to fall off the grid now for awhile, and if I see anyone, I'm not going to talk about me," Rousey said after the bout.

[UPDATED at 8:28 a.m.: An earlier version of this post said live-gate sales at the Honda Center for Saturday's UFC 157 card featuring Ronda Rousey were $4.5 million. The sales were $1.4 million.]
  •  

sammy_scuffles

So Stewie, you've been surprisingly quiet about all this! What did you think of the fight?
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: sammy_scuffles on 01-Mar-13, 08:43 PM
So Stewie, you've been surprisingly quiet about all this! What did you think of the fight?

I haven't had chance to make a proper analysis yet.......
  •  

sammy_scuffles

•  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: sammy_scuffles on 02-Mar-13, 02:14 AM
Really? hmm.

Maybe this might help.

Okay. What would you like me to say? Ronda was in a bad position and a stronger/better grappler might have been more successful in securing the RNC? I agree entirely. Nobody is invincible, including Fedor, Anderson, GSP.......nobody. Especially with the cage adding more surface area than pure mat-based action, thereby allowing quantum mechanics and entropy to play a greater part..........

However, the fact that Ronda defended that particular situation and powered through to another first-round round victory, only demonstrates the difficulty that other challengers will face in future match-ups.
  •