News:

If you see missing images in posts, we lost about 100k of 'em in 03/2022.

Main Menu

Allowed Filehosts

Started by Zeus, 17-Oct-12, 09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR

I have just downloaded the test file. The speed seemed stable at around 600 KB/sec (average was 613.7 KB/sec). Waiting time until the next download seems to be a very long 1 hour.  :(

Rapidshare is currently, at least for me, about two times faster, and it allows simultaneous downloads. I don't know why that is so, with so many people having serious issues with Rapidshare. I am under the impression that they never switched me back to the free user status, once my premium was over. Hey, I'm not going to complain  ;D.

Quote from: Marty on 11-Dec-12, 12:53 PMI'd love if all members kept one premium account like depositfiles.. your time has value and paying for one premium account should pay for itself for just about anyone in timesavings compared to dealing with slow speeds, captchas, wait limits, etc

Agreed!
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: DR on 11-Dec-12, 11:19 PM
Rapidshare is currently, at least for me, about two times faster, and it allows simultaneous downloads. I don't know why that is so, with so many people having serious issues with Rapidshare. 

Its Rapidshare's new policy on limiting download availability that's screwing things up. It's affecting premium members and free users alike, with regards to downloading. Unfortunately, that's a limiting factor for growing communities like this one.  :(
Use 7z / WinRAR - Password: VictoryIsMine!
  •  

Matey

Tried the bitshare links:

Couple of those annoying ads at the beginning, then the 1st D/L went just decent (earlier in the day).. took just under half an hour, at around 160kB/s.

The other one went pretty fast (tried at nightime), around 600kB/s.

Does it measure up to the current ones on our list? Too early to say yet, let's wait for more reviews.

•  

Ronald_Frump

As a non premium member downloading, Depositfiles is limited to 149 Kb/s for me - never changes, no matter what time of the day. Mediafire can be temperamental on upload: sometimes its smooth, other times it queues and freezes on analysis - then it often fails to complete, but it gives 550 Kb/s on download. However, the 200 Mb limit is a bit silly, IMHO. Hotfile is better for downloading @ 350 Kb/s. BitShare is giving me 430 Kb/s on download. Rapidshare gave me 3.9 Mb/s download speed this morning, but its useless as a forum share facility now.
  •  

RBAP

I think more important than download speed is the ability to download several files simultaneously. More time is lost if one has to keep going back to the same link every hour or 90 minutes to download files that are split into several parts. As long as a host is reliable (some are not) you can go back to your business and wait for the multiple downloads to complete. Mediafire and Rapidshare are, to my knowledge, the only ones that allow for multiple simultaneous download. Are there others?
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: RBAP on 12-Dec-12, 09:50 PM
I think more important than download speed is the ability to download several files simultaneously. 

Mediafire and Rapidshare are, to my knowledge, the only ones that allow for multiple simultaneous download. Are there others?

Non come to mind.

Quote from: RBAP on 12-Dec-12, 09:50 PM
More time is lost if one has to keep going back to the same link every hour or 90 minutes to download files that are split into several parts. As long as a host is reliable (some are not) you can go back to your business and wait for the multiple downloads to complete. 

Probably best to use Mediafire for split files: fast AND parallel download - but TBH I've stopped splitting files recently, because of the times when I've had UPLOAD problems with Mediafire. That currently gives ONE option only for big uploads: Depositfiles. Then if we are all using that as the main host, that in itself causes delays and we're back to square one.

If we can spread the load around different file-hosts, there's more chance for achieving a form of "parallel download" capability. So if RBAP used Depositfiles exclusively and Stewie_Griffin used a different host, members could download our combined vids at the same time.

We tried GameFront but its not internationally user-friendly  :(
  •  

Ronald_Frump

I've uploaded two vids into a new "test-thread" ......I've cross referenced the links and hope as many members as possible will comment back here.

:TY:

http://www.squeezequeens.com/index.php?topic=392.0

•  

femfightwatcher

Does anyone else get all the false starts on Mediafire with the download having to be "repaired"?  I don't think it's happened to me using JDownloader, only direct.  But once it works it's still the fastest.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: femfightwatcher on 13-Dec-12, 07:29 PM
Does anyone else get all the false starts on Mediafire with the download having to be "repaired"?  I don't think it's happened to me using JDownloader, only direct.  But once it works it's still the fastest.

Not very often. I get more problems uploading.

What's your download speed comparison between Mediafire and BitShare?
  •  

DR

Just downloading now the two files from the test thread. Managed somehow to get them to download simultaneously. Speeds are just a bit above 500 KB/sec (pretty good).

As RBAP pointed out, I think it is very important to have the ability to download simultaneously, or at least not have too long waiting times.

So far, Bitshare looks decent, even though I'm not sure about the waiting times. The other day, I had to wait for a full hour for the next download, and now I'm downloading 2 files at the same time. I think that I managed to cheat the system  :), and if it was just a fluke on their end, they'll probably fix it.

EDIT:

After completing these two downloads, I tried to start another one, and the message I'm getting is:

"Your Traffic is used up for today. Upgrade to premium to continue!"

Not good  :(
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Yes that was a fluke. I've just tried a parallel and its refused. I think we'll be lucky to find a fast, free host that ticks all the boxes.

Waiting times between downloads can be virtually eradicated by using a proxy though, can't they? It's what I do all the time. I normally use hotspotshield. When I've finished downloading, switch it off, wait a few seconds, switch it back on and you get a different ip address every time. I then clear my cache (cookies) and the file-host thinks I'm a new customer.
  •  

femfightwatcher

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 13-Dec-12, 07:41 PMWhat's your download speed comparison between Mediafire and BitShare?

I don't recall downloading from the latter.  Definitely not recently.
  •  

Matey

Tried Bitshare couple more times in last few days, and it only seems to work at good speed in late nightime for me, otherwise it's usually 55-60 kB/s in my location, with low hourly D/L limits. I think the 3 currently approved forum filehosts are a notch above it, so I'm leaning towards not adding it to the list?  :-\

Thanks very much to Stewie for testing it out for us  :Pol:

Also came across some www.Zippyshare.com links the other day, and it worked for me as good as Mediafire (pretty speedy and simultaneous D/L's). same crappy 200MB file limit though, so not sure if you wanna take it for a test run too

In short, nothing beats having a premium Depositfiles and not having to deal with all the free host limits.. hence Depositfiles is currently our preferred host with Hotfile and Mediafire being pretty good alternatives.

•  

rassleme

Quote from: Marty on 16-Dec-12, 12:45 PM

In short, nothing beats having a premium Depositfiles and not having to deal with all the free host limits.. hence Depositfiles is currently our preferred host with Hotfile and Mediafire being pretty good alternatives.

that works for me.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: Marty on 16-Dec-12, 12:45 PM
Tried Bitshare couple more times in last few days, and it only seems to work at good speed in late nightime for me, otherwise it's usually 55-60 kB/s in my location, with low hourly D/L limits. I think the 3 currently approved forum filehosts are a notch above it, so I'm leaning towards not adding it to the list?  :-\

Also came across some www.Zippyshare.com links the other day, and it worked for me as good as Mediafire (pretty speedy and simultaneous D/L's). same crappy 200MB file limit though, so not sure if you wanna take it for a test run too

Agreed. If its not universally fast, scrap it. We're okay with the other three until something better emerges.

I looked at Zippy, but since we've already got mediafire, is it worth adding another 200 Mb limited host?
  •