News:

Both female (F-F) and mixed (F-M) wrestling related material is welcomed.

Main Menu

Tutorial: How to make a Thumbnail Video Preview

Started by Ronald_Frump, 20-Oct-12, 08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald_Frump

Introduction

This tutorial will discuss both the methods and benefits of creating a video preview using a thumbnailer.

This offers several advantages over using individual single-pic based previews:

1) It is quicker (you only have to make and upload one multi-scene pic)
2) A one multi-pic preview, puts less of a load on the SqueezeQueens.com server CPU.
3) Your video's technical information is displayed at the top of the preview automatically (in most thumbnailers), meaning that you don't need to write information in the main body of your post such as:

a) File size in MB
b) Length of video in minutes and seconds (run-time)
c) Video format (.wmv .avi .flv .mp4)
d) Resolution (720p HD)

The links given, are safe and verified at the time of writing. However, as with all these applications:

*You Download At Your Own Risk*.

I currently use Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp

Click here to download it.

Here's a quick, step by step guide to basic thumbnail creation, once the app is installed on your computer.

Beware, some older versions of these various thumbnailers are not compatible with Windows 8. Scorp (the one above) works fine.

Feel free to google these various thumbnailer applications, for user-reviews, prior to downloading. Here are some download links:

nb. *Stewart Gilligan Griffin hereby accepts no legal responsibility pertaining to any malware, or other issue arising from links to third-party downloads*.

Scenegrabber

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Scenegrabber.NET

Thumbnail Me (The one I'm currently using) didn't work for Windows 8 - I now use Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp

http://sourceforge.net/projects/thumbnailme/

For Mac users:

http://code.google.com/p/skreenics/.
Use 7z / WinRAR - Password: VictoryIsMine!
  •  

Matey

Stickying this one up too.. now everyone can learn easily how the forum pros do it  8)

I'll also add that some video players have the thumbnail preview function built in..

KMPlayer: right-click the vid & select Capture > Make Storyboard

MPC (Media Player Classic): File > Save Thumbnails
[you might need to switch renderer to something else than default if it crashes. View > Options > Playback > Output, and switch to VMR9 (renderless) and DirectX 9 for example]

..and if someone has a lot of vids to make previews for and wants to do it all at once, you can try the batch capable

Auto Movie Thumbnailer  (haven't tried it myself yet)
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Great info, Marty. You're telling me stuff I wasn't aware of!

Thanks..... ;D
  •  

alexi1492

I used CheshireCat for the first time last night, it really couldn't be simpler. thanks for the tip
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: alexi1492 on 20-Oct-12, 09:39 AM
I used CheshireCat for the first time last night, it really couldn't be simpler. thanks for the tip

Could you endorse the link you downloaded it from? Then we can recommend that, knowing it's safe from malware.
  •  

RBAP

And for all of us cool  8) Mac users out there, there is:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32892/skreenics (Karma to Stewie o for finding this).

The thumbnails are UHQ but size can be reduced using the Export funtion on iPhoto.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Thanks RBAP. It's better when someone who has actually downloaded and used an app, endorses it, as good and safe to use for other members.

K+
  •  

alexi1492

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 20-Oct-12, 10:01 AM

Could you endorse the link you downloaded it from? Then we can recommend that, knowing it's safe from malware.

I used the mediafire link you posted

http://www.mediafire.com/?3wa196h5uwbwv2a
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: alexi1492 on 20-Oct-12, 02:05 PM
Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 20-Oct-12, 10:01 AM

I used the mediafire link you posted

http://www.mediafire.com/?3wa196h5uwbwv2a

Thanks man. I've modified my opening post accordingly. Karma upped 8)
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Since moving to Windows 8.1, I was having occasional problems with Thumbnail Me, so I've recently switched to Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp.
  •  

Matey

I can vouch for Video Thumbnails Maker by Scorp as well - great program.

It's highly recommended you use thumbnails for video preview, and this software works a treat for that. Even the free version is sufficient, or you can buy (adventurous souls can find it on the net) it, it's worth it. You can batch process a whole directory of videos, combine multiple parts of a movie into a single preview file, etc. Difference between free and paid version is a small ad logo and processing speed.

suu-design.com/projects.html

videohelp.com/tools/Video-Thumbnails-Maker

•  

Ronald_Frump

•  

cvd

An alternative way with some advantages using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC)

Step 1: open your video of choice using MPC-HC:
[attach=1]

Step 2: File > Save Thumbnails:
[attach=2]

Step 3: Attach thumbnail to post or upload to image host of your choice and link:
[attach=3]

This is the output image, just to show that it has all of the same info as the other thumbnail producing program:
[attach=4]

Advantages:
MPC-HC is a great all-around video player, and my personal favorite
Simpler (fewer steps) than the standalone thumbnail program
Customizable number of thumbnails and size of output image
No advertising thumbnail
  •