Ronda Rousey: I'd Beat Floyd Mayweather in an MMA Bout

Started by Ronald_Frump, 07-Mar-14, 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would win and how?

Mayweather by KO
Rousey by armbar

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: Mr Businessman on 21-Apr-14, 06:09 PM
An MMA fighter could beat Mayweather but Rousey could not do so as she has no legitimate claim to that yet.

Can you narrow your definition of "MMA fighter"?

David Haye is nowhere near as skilled as Mayweather either, he's a heavyweight in an era of unskilled heavyweights, much of Haye's opposition is bloated and his legitimate threat, Klitschko destroyed him.

Isn't it a bit of a leap of faith to assume Mayweather has got awesome takedown defense skills?

Do you agree that if they clinch, she'll judo toss him to the ground?

Use 7z / WinRAR - Password: VictoryIsMine!
  •  

Judge DR3DD

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 21-Apr-14, 06:32 PM
An MMA fighter could beat Mayweather but Rousey could not do so as she has no legitimate claim to that yet.

David Haye is nowhere near as skilled as Mayweather either, he's a heavyweight in an era of unskilled heavyweights, much of Haye's opposition is bloated and his legitimate threat, Klitschko destroyed him.

Isn't it a bit of a leap of faith to assume Mayweather has got awesome takedown defense skills?

MMA fighter that could take Mayweather has to have fought much better comp

No, it's a leap of faitfh to think she would anticipate his punches. He easily lands on people that have faster reactions, she'll get tagged. A clinch is unlikely as he'll KO her, tho he does have the tendency to elbow people in clinches
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: Mr Businessman on 22-Apr-14, 04:15 AM

Once again, I would turn that around and say Mayweather would have to prove he has fought much better comp - not in boxing - but in a cage fighting scenario. Where is your evidence to say he has developed an adaptive stance, which would allow him to strike effectively, whilst still being able to stuff takedowns?

I suppose if I mention Ali, you're going to say he was a slow heavyweight, compared to Mayweather, right.....lol!

Here's a match from yesteryear: Ali/Inoki? (bit before your time). Ali suffered a lot of damage to his legs and that wasn't even MMA....there were more rules imposed, like no takedowns (tackles). Read this:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/nov/11/the-forgotten-story-of-ali-inoki

"The fight stank, and made a huge financial loss, but Ali's camp had more serious concerns, as Bob Arum remembers:

"So fine, OK. It was terrible, it was embarrassing. But Ali is bleeding from the legs. He gets an infection in his legs; almost has to have an amputation. Not only the [Ken] Norton fight would've been not happening, but Ali could've been a cripple for the rest of his life."

Ali was due to fight Norton in September. Inoki's repeated kicks to the leg had left him with two blood clots. Before he flew to the US, he was due to fight exhibition bouts in the Philippines and South Korea. Pacheco recalls advising Ali, as he lay in bed with ice-bags around his thighs, to skip the fights and go to hospital. As it was he went through with them, and spent two weeks in care in LA when he returned to the US.

Pacheco, who would stop working with Ali in 1977, disgruntled that his concerns were being ignored, insists that Ali's mobility as a fighter never quite recovered from the kicking he took in Tokyo and the subsequent infection of his legs. Certainly he suffered in his fight against Norton, eking out a narrow win on points, and he would never knock anyone out again."

•  

Judge DR3DD

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 22-Apr-14, 05:55 AM
Quote from: Mr Businessman on 22-Apr-14, 04:15 AM

Once again, I would turn that around and say Mayweather would have to prove he has fought much better comp - not in boxing - but in a cage fighting scenario. Where is your evidence to say he has developed an adaptive stance, which would allow him to strike effectively, whilst still being able to stuff takedowns?

I suppose if I mention Ali, you're going to say he was a slow heavyweight, compared to Mayweather, right.....lol!

Here's a match from yesteryear: Ali/Inoki? (bit before your time). Ali suffered a lot of damage to his legs and that wasn't even MMA....there were more rules imposed, like no takedowns (tackles). Read this:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/nov/11/the-forgotten-story-of-ali-inoki

"The fight stank, and made a huge financial loss, but Ali's camp had more serious concerns, as Bob Arum remembers:

"So fine, OK. It was terrible, it was embarrassing. But Ali is bleeding from the legs. He gets an infection in his legs; almost has to have an amputation. Not only the [Ken] Norton fight would've been not happening, but Ali could've been a cripple for the rest of his life."

Ali was due to fight Norton in September. Inoki's repeated kicks to the leg had left him with two blood clots. Before he flew to the US, he was due to fight exhibition bouts in the Philippines and South Korea. Pacheco recalls advising Ali, as he lay in bed with ice-bags around his thighs, to skip the fights and go to hospital. As it was he went through with them, and spent two weeks in care in LA when he returned to the US.

Pacheco, who would stop working with Ali in 1977, disgruntled that his concerns were being ignored, insists that Ali's mobility as a fighter never quite recovered from the kicking he took in Tokyo and the subsequent infection of his legs. Certainly he suffered in his fight against Norton, eking out a narrow win on points, and he would never knock anyone out again."

The Muhammad Ali match is NOT a good example. Ali was old and beat by then, the following year he lost to a nobody Leon Spinks, after his fights with Foreman and Frazier, alot had been taken out of him. And he was slow by then --- anyone who has seen his fights in 1977 and compared to even 3 years earlier knows he wasn't very good by 1977. In fact, he had alot of robbery wins, one of Jimmy Young and Ken Norton in their third fight. His speed was gone as soon as he was banned for 3 years, it was never the same after and was very lackluster so he adapted his style

He will land on her because he's actually an elite. Fought hundreds and hundreds of rounds for nearly two decades, and he's still in prime. Landing a punch on her would not be very hard considering he's still in his prime. As I've said, he throws feints in rounds, which work to his advantage

We have to compare their fight comp and the evidence is convincing for Mayweather's win.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

All your reasoning would make perfect sense if it were a boxing match. I'm trying to get across to you that in MMA, things like leg kicks and takedowns would come into play and you are not answering my questions, merely reiterating Mayweather's domination against boxers, in a boxing environment eg.

Quote from: Mr Businessman on 22-Apr-14, 07:54 AM
He will land on her because he's actually an elite. Fought hundreds and hundreds of rounds for nearly two decades, and he's still in prime. Landing a punch on her would not be very hard considering he's still in his prime. As I've said, he throws feints in rounds, which work to his advantage

We have to compare their fight comp and the evidence is convincing for Mayweather's win.

What you're saying is equivalent to saying Ronaldo could out-perform lower ranking NFL players at their own game, because both sports utilize:

• running
  • a ball

....and he's "an elite"   ???

•  

Judge DR3DD

Quote from: Stewie_Griffin on 22-Apr-14, 08:10 AM
All your reasoning would make perfect sense if it were a boxing match. I'm trying to get across to you that in MMA, things like leg kicks and takedowns would come into play and you are not answering my questions, merely reiterating Mayweather's domination against boxers, in a boxing environment eg.

Quote from: Mr Businessman on 22-Apr-14, 07:54 AM

What you're saying is equivalent to saying Ronaldo could out-perform lower ranking NFL players at their own game, because both sports utilize:

• running
  • a ball

....and he's "an elite"   ???

That's because we have to translate his boxing skills. If he was a no-name boxer, he'd get taken out quickly. If he's an elite, he has advantages that are prevalent and can be used. Things like leg-kicks can come into play; it's not very useful considering Mayweather is much faster than Ronda. He would snap his punches faster than she can react. He would throw feints to make her make mistakes, etc. It's not just Ronda's MMA skills that are really relevant.

All we really have with Ronda is 9 fights and we are supposed to to take that as evidence for her winning? I think not.

Mayweather's stance is fine enough to land punches as he's quick enough. The problem isn't just that Mayweather hasn't fought MMA, it's that she hasn't fought a boxer. Mayweather could easily KO with a punch as she doesn't have the punch resistance that boxers have.

She has no legitimate claim to beating the P4P number 1 fighter. She is the number 1 women's fighter, Mayweather is regarded as the number 1 P4P fighter in the world.
  •  

Ronald_Frump

Quote from: Mr Businessman on 22-Apr-14, 08:33 AM

That's because we have to translate his boxing skills. If he was a no-name boxer, he'd get taken out quickly. If he's an elite, he has advantages that are prevalent and can be used. Things like leg-kicks can come into play; it's not very useful considering Mayweather is much faster than Ronda. He would snap his punches faster than she can react. He would throw feints to make her make mistakes, etc. It's not just Ronda's MMA skills that are really relevant.

All we really have with Ronda is 9 fights and we are supposed to to take that as evidence for her winning? I think not.

Mayweather's stance is fine enough to land punches as he's quick enough. The problem isn't just that Mayweather hasn't fought MMA, it's that she hasn't fought a boxer. Mayweather could easily KO with a punch as she doesn't have the punch resistance that boxers have.

She has no legitimate claim to beating the P4P number 1 fighter. She is the number 1 women's fighter, Mayweather is regarded as the number 1 P4P fighter in the world.

•  

Judge DR3DD

•  

Ronald_Frump

Jon Jones says Rousey would beat Mayweather (from 1:15 mins)

•  

Ronald_Frump

SportsNation | Dana White talks Mayweather vs Rousey @ 5:10 mins

•  

uboat

I don't think she have a chance. A great boxer is faster than she ever think about it, box is a very fast sport compared to MMA. She can't trade punchs with him and to be honesty I don't think she can grab him so easily, and perhaps get him in an armbar.

We can just remember that a punch to the body or to the face on an untrained box fighter could end the fight. Just an example was her last fight, a single knee to the kidney of McNamara ended the fight as fast as it starts. Imagine if she take one or 2 punchs 2 times harder in any part of her body.
  •  

sleepinbin

Ah now, Stewie, the UFC guys are hardly going to say "Oh yeah she'd lose" :P
  •  

uboat

I read an article which compares she with the "Gracie" phenomena in MMA, the Jiu-Jitsu technique.

If you introduce a new efficient technique it takes time to the other fighters adapt to this and you certainly win a lot of fights, before all of them understand and train the principles of your fight.

Add the fact that's much less female fighters than male ones it'll take a longer time to them train and understand how to avoid the armbar.

Another interesting point is how massive she's compared to her opponents, McNamara was her first real danger fight.
  •  

wrestlingspandex

aint got time to read all of the posts here, but its interesting, for about 1 minute... He would KO her, the best counter puncher on the planet, if she could catch him, she would still have to look out for he's hands, seriously guys, i know we all love Rhonda, but reality it would be over so quickly and maybe a trip to the hospital. He has never been beaten, in that game its very very hard to do that, a ufc fighter male or female would never get to 20 and 0, let alone 46 wins and no defeats. He's been world champion at 5 weights.

It would be interesting, but he would not lose he's record to a woman cage fighter, they are just not in the same league.

I know your looking at it from a cage fighting perspective, look at chuck liddel, a great champion, knocked out most people he came to fight and was absolute toilet on the ground, he was a kick boxer, telegraphed he's punches, but was a great champion, now mayweather on the other hand, would be useless on the ground too, if you can imagine chuck being able to avoid take downs like they was goin out of fashion, like he did most of the time, imagine mayweather how he would avoid Rhonda, it would be a total mismatch, i would love to see Rhonda beat him, just as i would of liked to see hatton beat him that time, but my friends it aint gunna happen, its just one of those things, the guy is a fricking genius.
  •